Key word or phrase descriptors for area of expertise:
Biomaterials, Surface Modification, Hard Tissue Regeneration, Dynamic Tissue Culture, Drug Delivery System
Dr. Oh earned his BS and MS in material engineering from Yonsei University and Ph.D. in biomaterial engineering from Yeungnam University. His expertise is in the area of biomaterials for regenerative medicine and his research interests lies at the interfaces of fundamental material science, biology, and clinical applications at the macro-, micro- and nano- levels, especially in understanding the role of physiochemical microenvironments in stem cell development.
Dr. Oh has published over 130 scientific articles, proceedings, book chapters, and is the inventor on three patents. Dr. Oh served as a present/co-funder of “GenOsteo” that is a spin-off company by University of Texas at San Antonio of his invention “Bi-layered Bone-Like Scaffolds” (2008-2010).
Dr. Oh serves on the committee on Medical and Surgical Materials and Devices (F04) of American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) (2008-present). Dr. Oh was the recipient of a Unilever Hatton Award in American Association for Dental Research, a Best Scientific Presentation Award in Academy of Osseointegration (2010 & 2011).
His teaching has been primarily in the application of biomaterials and experimental design in tissue engineering for clinical applications.
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications - Three selected citations:
1. Jun Sik Son, Mark Appleford, Joo L. Ong, Joseph C. Wenke, Jong Min Kim, Seok Hwa Choi, Daniel S. Oh. Porous hydroxyapatite scaffold with three-dimensional localized drug delivery system using biodegradable microspheres. Journal of Controlled Release. 2011;153(2):133-40.
2. Min-Ho Hong, Sung-Min Kim, Myung-Ho Han, Yoon Hyuk Kim,Yong-Keun Lee, Daniel. S. Oh. Evaluation of microstructure effect of the porous spherical β-tricalcium phosphate granules on cellular responses. Ceramics International. 2013;40(4):6095-102.
3.Min-Ho Hong, Yoon Hyuk Kim, Danaa Ganbat, Jung-Ho Back, Chunsik Bae, Daniel S. Oh. Capillary action: enrichment of retention and habitation of cells via micro-channeled scaffolds for massive bone defect regeneration. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2014;25(8):1991-2001.
Complete list of publications - link to pubmed:
Click image below for link to publications in Pubmed.gov
1. Min-Ho Hong, Yoon Hyuk Kim, Danaa Ganbat, Jung-Ho Back, Chunsik Bae, Daniel S. Oh. Capillary action: enrichment of retention and habitation of cells via micro-channeled scaffolds for massive bone defect regeneration. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2014;25(8):1991-2001.
2. Rathbone CR, Guda T, Singleton BM, Oh DS, Appleford MR, Ong JL, Wenke JC. Effect of cell-seeded hydroxyapatite scaffolds on rabbit radius bone regeneration. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2014;102(5):1458-66.
3. Daniel S. Oh, Young-Joon Kim, Min-Ho Hong, Myung-Ho Han, Kyung-Soo Kim. Effect of capillary action on bone regeneration in micro-channeled ceramic scaffolds. Ceramics International. 2014;40(8):9583-9.
4. Guda T, Walker JA, Singleton B, Hernandez J, Oh DS, Appleford MR, Ong JL, Wenke JC. Hydroxyapatite scaffold pore architecture effects in large bone defects in vivo. J Biomater Appl. 2014;28(7):1016-27.
5. Min-Ho Hong, Sung-Min Kim, Myung-Ho Han, Yoon Hyuk Kim,Yong-Keun Lee, Daniel. S. Oh. Evaluation of microstructure effect of the porous spherical β-tricalcium phosphate granules on cellular responses. Ceramics International. 2013;40(4):6095-102.
6. Lee HG, Hsu A, Goto H, Nizami S, Lee JH, Cadet ER, Tang P, Shaji R, Chandhanayinyong C, Kweon SH, Oh DS, Tawfeek H, Lee FY. Aggravation of Inflammatory Response by Co-Stimulation with Titanium Particles and Mechanical Perturbations in Osteoblast- and Macrophage- like Cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013;304(5):C431-9.
7. Guda T, Walker JA, Singleton BM, Hernandez JW, Son JS, Kim SG, Oh DS, Appleford MR, Ong JL, Wenke JC. Guided Bone Regeneration in Long-Bone Defects with a Structural Hydroxyapatite Graft and Collagen Membrane. Tissue Eng Part A. 2013;19(17-18):1879-88.
8. Daniel S. Oh, Yoon Hyuk Kim, Danaa Ganbat, Myung-Ho Han, Phillip Lim, Jung-Ho Back, Francis Y. Lee, Hesham Tawfeek. Bone marrow absorption and retention properties of engineered scaffolds with micro-channels and nano-pores for tissue engineering: a proof of concept. Ceramics International. 2013;39(7):8401-10.
9. John O. Grippo, Daniel S. Oh. A Classification of the Mechanisms Production Pathological Changes. J Med Eng Technol. 2013;37(4):259-63.
10. Stefanie Shiels, Sunho Oh, Chunsik Bae, Teja Guda, Brian Singleton, David D. Dean, Joseph C. Wenke, Mark R. Appleford, Joo L. Ong. Evaluation of BMP-2 tethered polyelectrolyte coatings on hydroxyapatite scaffolds in vivo. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B. 2012;100(7):1782-91.
11. Jong Min Kim, Tae Sung Han, Myoung Hwan Kim, Daniel S. Oh, Seong Soo Kang, Gonhyung Kim, Tae-Yub Kwon, Kyo-Han Kim, Kyu-Bok Lee, Jun Sik Son, Seok Hwa Choi. Osteogenic Evaluation of Calcium Phosphate Scaffold with Drug-Loaded Poly (Lactic-Co-Glycolic Acid) Microspheres in Beagle Dogs. Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. 2012;9(3):175-183.
12. Min-Ho Hong, Kwang-Mahn Kim, Seong-Ho Choi, D.S. Oh, Yong-Keun Lee. Fabrication of hollow hydroxyapatite spherical granules for hard tissue regeneration and alternative method for drug release test. Micro & Nano Letters. 2012; 7(7): 634-36.
13. T. Guda, S. Oh, M. Appleford, J.L. Ong. Bilayer hydroxyapatite scaffolds for maxillofacial bone tissue engineering. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants. 2012;27(2):288-94.
14. Son JS, Kim SG, Oh JS, Appleford M, Oh S, Ong JL, Lee KB. Hydroxyapatite/polylactide biphasic combination scaffold loaded with dexamethasone for bone regeneration. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A. 2011;99(4):638-47.
15. Jun Sik Son, Jong Min Kim, Myungho Han, Seok Hwa Choi, Francis Y. Lee, Daniel S. Oh. Bone Regeneration of Tibial Segmental Defect Using Isotropic-Pore Structures Hydroxyapatite/Alumina Bi-Layered Scaffold: In Vivo Pilot Study. Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants. 2011;21(2):159-67.
16. Amita R. Shah, Sarita R. Shah, Sunho Oh, Joo L. Ong, Joseph C. Wenke, C. Mauli Agrawal. Migration of Co-cultured Endothelial Cells and Osteoblasts in Composite Hydroxyapatite/Polylactic Acid Scaffolds. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2011;39(10):2501-09.
17. Mani G, Torres N, Oh S. Paclitaxel Delivery from Cobalt-Chromium Alloy Surfaces Using Self-Assembled Monolayers. Biointerphases. 2011;6(2):33-42.
18. Jun Sik Son, Mark Appleford, Joo L. Ong, Joseph C. Wenke, Jong Min Kim, Seok Hwa Choi, Daniel S. Oh. Porous hydroxyapatite scaffold with three-dimensional localized drug delivery system using biodegradable microspheres. Journal of Controlled Release. 2011;153(2):133-40.
19. Teja Guda, John A. Walker, Beth E. Pollot, Mark R. Appleford, Sunho Oh, Joo L. Ong, Joseph C. Wenke. In vivo performance of bilayer hydroxyapatite scaffolds for bone tissue regeneration in the rabbit radius. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2011;22(3):647-56.
20. Min-Ho Hong, Jun-Sik Son, Kwang-Mahn Kim, Myungho Han, Daniel S. Oh, Yong-Keun Lee. Drug-Loaded Porous Spherical Hydroxyapatite Granules for Bone Regeneration. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2011;22(2):349-55.
21. Sung Park, Gil Rak Choi, Jae Chun Lee, Youn Cheol Kim, Daniel Oh, Sungkap Cho, Ju-Hyeon Lee. Organic and inorganic binder-coating properties for immobilization of photocatalytic ZnO nanopowders. Research on Chemical Intermediates. 2010;36(6-7):819-25.
22. Sung Park, Sung Keug Choo, Gil Rak Choi, Yun Joong Chung, Daniel Oh, Youn Cheol Kim, Ju-Hyeon Lee. Photocatalytic and immobilization characteristics of immobilized ZnO and TiO2 nanopowders. Research on Chemical Intermediates. 2010;36(6-7):843-49.
23. Nelson Torres, Sunho Oh, Mark Appleford, David D. Dean, James H.Jorgensen, Joo L. Ong, C. Mauli Agrawal, Gopinath Mani. Stability of anti-bacterial self-assembled monolayers on hydroxyapatite. Acta Biomaterialia. 2010;6(8):3242-55.
24. Gopinath Mani, Celia E. Macias, Marc D. Feldman, Denes Marton, Sunho Oh, C. Mauli Agrawal. Delivery of Paclitaxel from Cobalt-Chromium Alloy Surfaces without Polymeric Carriers. Biomaterials. 2010;31(20):5372-84.
25. Sunho Oh, Myung-Ho Han, Wan-Bin Im, Suk Young Kim, Kyo Han Kim, Changkook You, Joo L. Ong. Surface characterization and dissolution study of biodegradable calcium metaphosphate coated by sol-gel method. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology. 2010;53(3):627-33.
26. Jun Sik Son, Guda Teja, Mark Appleford, Joo L. Ong, Kwideok Park, Dong Keun Han, Sunho Oh. Structure and Characteristics of Novel Hydroxyapatite/Polylactide Bi-layered Porous Scaffold for Bone Regeneration. Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. 2009;6(13):1241-51.
27. Woo-Jin Jeon, Su-Gwan Kim, Sung-Chul Lim, Joo L. Ong, Daniel Sunho Oh. Histomorphometric evaluation of immediately loaded SSII implants of different surface treatments in a dog model. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A. 2009;90(2):396-400.
28. Young-Kyun Kim, Pil-Young Yun, Su-Gwan Kim and Daniel Sunho Oh. In-vitro scanning electron microscopic comparison of inner surface of exposed and unexposed nonresorbable membranes. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology. 2009;107:e5-e11.
29. Mark R. Appleford, Sunho Oh, Namsik Oh, Joo L. Ong. In vivo study on hydroxyapatite scaffolds with trabecular architecture for bone repair. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A. 2009;89(4):1019-27.
30. Gopinath Mani, Marc D. Feldman, Sunho Oh, C. Mauli Agrawal. Surface Modification of Cobalt-Chromium-Tungsten-Nickel Alloy Using Octadecyltrichlorosilanes. Applied Surface Science. 2009;255(11):5961-70.
31. Jun Sik Son, Kwideok Park, Sunho Oh, Jae-Jin Kim, Dong Keun Han. Preparation and Characterization of Porous Heparin-immobilized PLGA Scaffolds Using Novel Solid Hydrogen Peroxide for Cartilage Regeneration. Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. 2008;5(3):528-34.
32. T. Guda, M. Appleford, S. Oh, J. L. Ong. A Cellular Perspective to Bioceramic Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering: the State of the Art. Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry. 2008;8:290-99.
33. Mark R. Appleford, Sunho Oh, Judith A. Cole, Jiri Protivínský, Joo L. Ong. Ultrasound effects on osteoblast precursor cells in trabecular calcium phosphate scaffolds. Biomaterials. 2007;28(32):4788-94.
34. W. Chen, S. Oh, A. P. Ong, N. Oh, Y. Liu, H. S. Courtney, M. Appleford, J. L. Ong. Anti-bacterial and osteogenic properties of silver- containing hydroxyapatite coatings produced using a sol gel process. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A. 2007;82(4):899-906.
35. Bumgardner, Joel D.; Chesnutt, Betsy M.; Yuan, Youling; Yang, Yunzhi; Appleford, Mark; Oh, Sunho; McLaughlin, Ronald; Elder, Steven H.; Ong, Joo L. The integration of chitosan-coated titanium in bone: An in vivo study in rabbits. Implant Dentistry. 2007;16(1):66-79.
36. Mark R. Appleford, Sunho Oh, Judith A. Cole, David L. Carnes, Myunghyun Lee, Joel D. Bumgardner, Warren O. Haggard, Joo L. Ong. Effects of trabecular calcium phosphate scaffolds on stress-signaling in osteoblast precursor cells. Biomaterials. 2007;28(17):2747-53.
37. Sunho Oh, Namsik Oh, Mark Appleford, Joo L. Ong. Bioceramics for tissue engineering applications – A review. American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 2006;2(2):49-56.
38. J.L. Ong, M. Appleford, S. Oh, Y. Yang, W.-H. Chen, J.D. Bumgardner, W.O. Haggard. The characterization and development of bioactive hydroxyapatite coatings. Journal of the Minerals, Metals & Materials Society. 2006;58:67-69.