August 6, 2014
We are excited for your arrival this weekend. Orientation will be a busy and fun time; the Orientation committee has worked hard all summer to plan a memorable week for all of you.
I must take this time to remind you of a few housekeeping items as well as important paperwork you should review before you arrive on campus.
• REMINDER: Many of you did not upload ID pictures. If you did not upload an ID picture, you will have to take your ID picture at the ID Office, P&S 1st floor during orientation week.
• I have reached out to individuals who are not compliant with student health. Please address these emails immediately.
• Attached to this email are three documents that you must read and sign before arriving on campus- PLEASE DO NOT MAIL THEM to us- you will arrive here before the mail does; either bring with you and they will be collected throughout the week or you can scan and email these forms to us, if its more convenient.
1. Code of Conduct- please read through this document, sign and date last page. ONLY the last page must be returned to us- I would recommend you read the document carefully and remember that professional conduct is expected even throughout orientation week.
2. Photo release form- from time to time, photos are taken or shared with our office and we would like to be able to use in recruitment materials and for publicity purposes.
3. An Emergency Contact Information form is collected from all students for the sole purpose of having contact information in the event of an emergency.
• I would also like to remind you and reiterate what the orientation committee has already shared with you. All sessions during the day at orientation are MANDATORY and you must attend. This is an important time for you to meet key people at CDM and learn about the policies that will govern the next 4 years of your education. Please take advantage of all the sessions and information that will be shared with you.
• It’s also imperative that you review and become familiar with the Essential Policies for the Columbia Community as these will govern all CDM students while they are enrolled: http://www.essential-policies.columbia.edu/
As I mentioned before, orientation week is very busy and any of the paperwork you could complete ahead of time will help you and us tremendously.
July 29, 2014
Emails have just been sent out to your Columbia email accounts regarding lockers and textbooks. Please speak with current CDM students and your orientation leaders before purchasing textbooks. They will have valuable information that could save you lots of money!
If you have trouble applying for lockers, please visit: http://cumc.columbia.edu/it/students/lockers.html and read through the information.
July 11, 2014
By now you should be well on your way as far as financial aid forms and application materials. At a minimum, you should have been in touch with the Student Finnacial Planning Office with any questions or concerns regarding applying for financial aid. Here are a few documents that will help you with the process:
If you have any questions, please contact the Student financial Planning Office at (212) 305-4100.
July 1, 2014
The orientation schedule has been emailed to the entire class at your CUMC email addresses. Please let me know if you do not receive it.
HOUSING FAIR: On Friday July 18th, 2014 at 60 Haven Avenue, the Office of Housing Services will provide various Real Estate Brokers to assist in locating Off-Campus Housing for all waitlisted students. If you will be in town, please come by and receive valuable information on NYC, Transit tours of apartments, and lease signings if in fact you locate a place to live!!!
Time: Friday, July 18th, 2014 From: 9:00am-12:00pm
Location: Main Floor Lobby - 60 Haven Avenue
Food/Refreshments will be Served
June 9, 2014
All entering students are required to submit an online photo for their Columbia University ID card. Once you arrive for orientation, at check in day, you will be issued your ID card. You will need this card to enter buildings, receive financial aid funds, and for all campus/school related transactions.
Students will be able log-in to the “Web Photo Submission Application” through the ID Center website: http://cumc.columbia.edu/id/new_students.html . There, you can upload a JPEG photo, make necessary adjustments and then submit the photo directly into the ID card system. The photo will be reviewed and approved (or denied if not meeting outlined criteria) by the ID Center. Students will receive an email confirmation upon photo approval or notified if a new photo is required. The deadline for students to submit a photo online is July 25, 2014.
Any students requiring a picture after August 04, 2014 will need go to the CUMC ID Office located at 630 West 168 Street, Room 1-405C.
June 5, 2014
Dear Members of CDM Class of 2018!
With graduation behind us, we are now looking forward to orientation and welcoming all of you to the CDM family. For those of you who have recently graduated, Congratulations!!!!
1. We strongly recommend you use all the earlier posts below as a cheklist and make sure everything listed has been addressed.
2. We have also heard from Student Financial Planning that many of you have not been checking or responding to their emails. Most student service office only have access to your Columbia email addresses and that is where they will be trying to contact you.
· You MUST check your Columbia email frequently- that means, your exchange account @cumc.columbia.edu. You should also have followed the setup instructions and forwarded your @columbia.edu to your exchange accounts- this will ensure you are not missing any emails and will only need to check the exchange account.
3. A quick reminder about the upcoming deadline of June 15th for pre-registration health requirements. Please make sure you have sent Student Health the pertinent paperwork for clearance; http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/health/newstudent/overview.html
4. Housing application is now closed. Decisions on your application will be available in the next few weeks. Your Orientation Committee has prepared an “off-campus” housing guide, found on the orientation website. The Housing office will also have an “off-campus” housing fair in mid-July. We will send out the information once I hear from them. If you are in the area, it might be a good idea to participate and see other housing options. The tentative date is July 18th.
5. If you are an International Student, you should have received individual emails from us about contacting Ms. Bonnie Garner for your visa application, applying for an individual tax ID number, and working with financial aid.
6. We are almost at 100% responses with the orientation fees; those missing have been contacted by the orientation committee directly. Thank you for your attention with this; orientation is going to be amazing!
7. Please continue to utilize the CDM Class 2018 FB page. Your classmates, orientation committee, and upperclassmen from CDM are there and available to answer any questions or concerns you may have; you can ask about textbooks, laptops requirements, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/cdm2018/
We will be in touch with information regarding orientation, lockers, ID photos, and essential Columbia University policies in the next few weeks.
May 22, 2014
Congratulations to all the recent graduates! Friendly reminder that before you leave your home institutions, you should request final official transcripts be sent to us. The transcripts you submitted to AADSAS when you applied do not get forwarded to us therefore we DO NOT have transcripts but will need them by August 1st to complete your acceptance offer. Please make sure we have them for all your undergraduate and graduate schools (if applicable).
They can be mailed to:
College of Dental Medicine
630 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
May 21, 2014
It's time to order your white coats and pins for your official White Coat Ceremony on August 11th.
Each member of the Class of 2018 will need to order the white coat and name tag by returning the order form to Derri Donohue at Henry Schein no later than June 13. DO NOT RETURN THESE FORMS TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. If you have any questions about ordering the coat, please contact Derri Donahue directly (information is on order form). Please note the exact spelling and order of your name as you’d like it to appear on the pin (please print clearly).
Your awesome housing committee has made this year's off-campus housing booklet, which will help you guide your apartment search. Additionally, you can check this google doc for an updated list of available rooms/apartments from current CDM students.
Also, do not forget to:
a) fill out your surveys
b) fill out your order forms
c) send in your checks (orientation fees are mandatory)
d) join the Facebook group!
Checks and forms are due June 1st. I know this is a busy time of year, especially for those of you graduating (congratulations!!!!), but we need everything in by then so that orders will come in on time. The Admissions Office is tracking the mandatory orientation fees and will be following up directly with students.
May 8, 2014
Your Orientation leaders have just sent out an email with important information on orientation fees, order form, survey, and orientation information! Please check your emails and if you haven't received the email, please let me know: email@example.com
Order forms and fees are due June 1st!
April 11, 2014
In preparation for the housing application’s launch date of April 15th; your wonderful orientation committee has put together a housing brochure with important tips and information.
March 26, 2014- (UPDATED INFO for 3/28/14)
I wanted to inform you guys of a wonderful tool, Student Services on Line (SSOL) which you will be using often to check on your student accounts, update your personal information, request transcripts, sign up for direct deposit, and many other services. You must activate your UNI to access the information. In addition, the Student Health Office has indicated that they will be processing your paperwork once the deadline passes. You will be able to check on the status of your health requirements by clicking on the HOLDS links. You should check your SSOL portal 3 weeks AFTER the deadline date (June 15 for fall enrollment). If the health hold has not been lifted by that time, then you can contact the Student Health Office. Everyone is placed on HOLD and subsequently released as their health requirements are met.
Please note that you are not yet registered students so many of the features will not show much information; when you view your student account information, your deposits will be reflected as credits, not as an outstanding balance. You will not be charged for the fall term until August 11, 2014 (due date of 9/12/14) after you've been registered at the College of Dental Medicine.
March 10, 2014
By now, everyone should have received their UNI and CU ID C# in a separate email from me. You should follow all the instructions to activiate your UNI. Soon, you will be receiving instructions on setting up your CUMC Exchange email - our IT department is in the process of creating these accounts for each of you. Once they are ready, I will contact you about email set-up and policies.
February 28, 2014
Greetings from the Office of Student Financial Planning (SFP)
Congratulations on your acceptance!
The Office of Student Financial Planning administers financial aid and provides debt management counseling for programs under the College of Physicians and Surgeons and the College of Dental Medicine. We serve as a resource and link to your funding sources. It is important to become an "educated consumer" and learn all that you can about the options that are available, given your personal financial situation. We will provide information, but keep in mind, that financial aid is an environment subject to constant change due to new legislation and regulations.
All of our staff are prepared to answer routine questions. For more information on our office, please visit: http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/
you may return it via:
fax: (212) 305-0221
mail to: Student Financial Planning
630 West 168 Street, BB Room 139
P&S Box 52A
New York, NY 10032
February 18, 2014
The Office of Student Health has just released the updated brochure of requirements: PREREGISTRATION HEALTH REQUIREMENTS FOR CLINICAL STUDENTS
Please note that students will not be allowed in class until their health requirements have been fully met. There are no exceptions so please take the necessary steps to be in compliance.
Deadline for Fall 2014 Enrollment: June 15, 2014
For more information visit: www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/health/newstudent/overview.html
January 16, 2014
Greetings from CDM!! Congratulations on choosing to join CDM in the fall.
Although many of you are busy with your spring semester, do take some time to enjoy the fact that you are about to become official members of the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine community.
A number of issues will be addressed in the months to come; below are a few items that have been asked and that we would like you to give careful attention to at this time.
Although the academic calendar is not yet finalized for 2014-15, here are a few TENTATIVE dates for the Class of 2018:
Check-in Day: August 10th
Orientation: August 10th-16th
White Coat Ceremony: August 11th
First Day of Classes: August 18th
The official academic calendar will be distributed closer to orientation.
Second Deposits are Due April 1st
Please send a check or money order for $1,000 to guarantee your place in the class in the fall- please consider using FedEx or UPS to send in the deposit. They are the only carriers that will hand deliver to our office. USPS takes the longest, even if you send it priority or next day mail.
The Office of Student Financial Planning is currently preparing and updating financial aid materials for the 2014-15 academic year. Please check their website for updated forms and contact information: http://cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/
Although the office of Housing at the Medical Center campus seeks to place all who apply, housing is not guaranteed. The housing application process begins in April and the deadline for applying will be in early June. Campus housing is limited; those who currently reside in the greater NY area, especially couples, may have to contact the off campus housing resource in addition to applying for Columbia Housing. Our housing office holds a Housing Fair in early July to introduce students to realtors and buildings in the area. More instructions and information will be emailed once the housing application becomes available.
Please be advised that we require all new students to complete and return health forms. You must also complete certain medical requirements (immunizations, physicals, etc.) Based on certain deadlines and specific time frames for vaccinations, you must start addressing these requirements now.
Though the information is not yet available for 2014-15 academic year, all students are encouraged to visit the Columbia University Health & Related Services web site to educate themselves about what services are available to students at Columbia University: www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/health.
Orientation will begin Sunday, August 10, 2014 and will run through August 16. Orientation will consist of mandatory information sessions intended to introduce you to the College of Dental Medicine and the Columbia University Medical Center Campus. You will meet key administrators and faculty members that will be instrumental throughout your education at CDM. There are also a wide variety of social events, organized by the Class of 2017 Orientation Committee, designed to acclimate you to the city and your classmates. You will be contacted by the Orientation Committee during the next few months with more information about orientation fees and events.
White Coat Ceremony
Orientation week kicks off with the symbolic White Coat Ceremony. This is a proud and historic ceremony for all incoming students and their parents- more information, including invitations will be sent out throughout the summer.
Change of Address
Anyone who has a change of address should notify our office in writing, including the dates the address will be valid, and the new telephone number. As an incoming student, you are responsible for responding to all formal requests throughout the summer, regardless of your summer plans or location.
If you require an I-20 from Columbia and did not receive the paperwork, please contact us immediately. Any specific questions about the Visa application process should be addressed to the International Students Office, (212) 305-5455, or Ms. Bonnie Garner at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is New York City…need I say more?
We do not recommend anyone bring a car to campus, nor will you need it; you will quickly realize that it is a burden and logistical nightmare. However, for those few students that may need to commute from an area not served by mass transit, applications for parking will be evaluated based on the applicant's place of residence, burden of commute via public transportation, hours on campus and availability of space. Any special circumstances should be addressed with one of us in the admissions office who will bring issues to the attention of the parking office.
Any student with a physical disability or a learning disability is encouraged to self-identify through the Office of Disability Services. This office will facilitate all special needs that you have during your four years at Columbia.
Students may contact that office directly:
Office of Disability Services
(212) 854-2284 (general information)
(212) 854-2378 (TDD)
(212) 854-3448 (FAX)
CDM requires that all first year students own a laptop computer. You will be utilizing ExamSoft software to take your exams. Specifications will be sent to you in the summer to assure your equipment meets the requirements for our campus. Please be advised that educational loans are available to cover the purchase of a computer only after the student has registered at CDM and only once throughout your 4 years at CDM.
All 1st year dental students can apply for a locker on the 1st floor of the Black Building. As soon as the locker application is available, I will share the URL with you. This process typically begins in early July once all current residents have vacated them.
I will be sending you personalized correspondence to the email address you used on the AADSAS application; it will contain your University Identifier, known as your UNI, and your ID#. These will be needed to access any online systems throughout Columbia University. Instructions on how to activate your UNI will be included.
In order to have your ID cards prepared ahead of time and available upon your arrival in August, you will have the opportunity to submit online photo and information. Once the ID office is ready for this submission, I will let everyone know the steps they must follow. ID cards are needed throughout CUMC campus for entry to all the buildings, to access certain locked areas and pass throughs within the buildings and for all university transactions.
If you haven’t already, please join your class FB page at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cdm2018/
Any questions about the items discussed or other issues that are of concern can be sent directly to anyone in our office: http://dental.columbia.edu/page/office-student-affairs
In the meantime, enjoy the upcoming spring! I know that I speak for the entire CDM family when I say that we are looking forward to having you with us in August.
Admissions and Student Affairs Office