Postdoctoral M.S. Degree in Orthodontics
The 36-month Postdoctoral Program in Orthodontics provides intensive advanced training in specialized biological and clinical sciences, and is designed to satisfy all requirements for American Board of Orthodontics certification. Its combination of clinical experience, lectures, seminars, and extensive laboratory coursework is integrated with treatment of various kinds of malocclusions. Upon successful completion, a Master of Science degree is awarded.
Techniques practiced include:
Interdisciplinary programs include:
Students must research, submit, and defend a written thesis. They are also required to present records of completed patients according to A.B.O. guidelines, in a mock A.B.O. examination setting.
· Must have passed Part 1 National Dental Board Examination to apply
· Advanced Dental Admissions Test (ADAT) is recommended for the 2016 cycle
· GRE scores are required for all applicants, including international students. The GRE institution code for Columbia University College of Dental Medicine is 2094
· For Foreign trained dentists, a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 100 is required. The institution code for Columbia University College of Dental Medicine is 2094.
How To Apply
Students must apply to the program through the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS), starting May 18, 2016 via the PASS website. Application deadline is September 15 of the year preceding entry.
In addition to your application, you must submit the following:
· Letter of recommendation from the Dean of your dental school, preferably submitted through PASS. Otherwise, the letter must be submitted in a sealed official envelope with the sender’s signature across the flap.
· Three letters of recommendation from other dental school faculty, preferably submitted through PASS. Otherwise, letters must be submitted in sealed official envelopes with the senders' signatures across the flap.
· Official undergraduate college transcript(s) from all institutions attended
· Official dental school transcript
· $125 application fee to be submitted by credit card at: PAY HERE
You will get an email within several weeks of submitting your online application advising you of the completeness of your file. Please allow ample time to request documentation to be sent to us, such as transcripts, GRE results, etc.
Some applicants will be chosen for admission interviews, which are required before acceptance.
The Postdoctoral Orthodontics Program also participates in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program.The School’s match program number is 6744.
Additional Admissions Requirements for International Applicants
Besides the application requirements described above, international students must provide the following information:
· The application system will prompt you to provide financial documentation. Please indicate that such documentation would be provided should you be accepted into the program.
· Official evaluation of all documents from foreign institutions that are presented as part of the application process is required. We will accept evaluations from the organizations listed below. Please address any questions about services directly to the organization. Evaluations must contain course-by-course assessments.
World Education Services
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
For more information and to submit additional documents, please contact:
Postdoctoral Program Coordinator
Attending an orthodontic program in New York does not necessarily allow students without a DDS/DMD from an ADA accredited program to practice dentistry in the US. For more information about licensing issues, please contact the responsible State Department of Education or the American Dental Association.
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine does not and will not provide a letter certifying that an international student who has completed the Masters of Science in Orthodontics is qualified for a US DDS.